GET ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR VISA
Ace the Exam with Our PTE Writing Tutorial
The second section of the Speaking & Writing module of the PTE exam focuses on writing skills. Once you are done with the questions of the ‘Speaking’ module, you have to click on the ‘Next’ button. This button takes you to the Writing test.
This test assesses a candidate’s:
- quality of writing,
- focus on the topic, and
- sentence formatting and construction.
Types of Questions asked in the PTE Writing Test
The PTE Writing test includes two types of questions:
- Summarize Written Text
- Write Essay
Summarize Written Text Type Questions
2-3 questions asked in the PTE exam are of this type. You have to read a text of up to 300 words. And then, you need to write its summary in one sentence. You get 10 minutes to answer a question.
These types of questions assess a candidate's reading and writing skills.
Write Essay Type Questions
You get 1-2 short essays to write in the exam. The essay topic is usually 2-3 sentences long. You have to write an essay between 200 and 300 words on the given topic. You get 20 minutes to write a short essay.
These types of questions assess a candidate's writing skills.
You get partial credit for both of these types of questions. It means that you can score some marks for each summary or essay you write (out of the total marks allotted to the question).
Tips to solve questions asked in the PTE Writing Test Module
How to summarize written text flawlessly?
In this question, you have to read a paragraph, and then write its summary in 10 minutes.
Things to Remember:
- You have the write the summary in only ONE sentence.
- It means that you can only use one ‘full stop’ to indicate the end of the sentence. But you commas or semicolons more than once. It means you may use a complex sentence structure to cover all the main points in your summary.
- The summary should be rich and precise. You can cut or copy the key points, and paste them into the textbox. This will make sure you don’t miss any of them while writing the summary.
- You can check the word count at the bottom of the textbox.
- You get marks for the content you write, reading skills, writing skills, grammar, vocabulary, and writing style.
How to write impressive short essays for the PTE exam?
In this question, you have to write a short essay on the given topic. The essay topic can be 1-3 sentences long. The essay length has to be between 200 and 300 words. You need to complete each essay in 20 minutes.
Things to Remember:
- Since the essay is short, it has to be crisp and precise. Avoid repeating words or phrases.
- Be fair and neutral. Discuss both pros and cons of the essay topic in an academic manner.
- If you doubt you may misspell a word, you may choose the cut, copy, and paste feature.
- You can check the word count at the bottom of the textbox. Writing less than 200 words or more than 300 words attracts a penalty. You score less if you exceed the word count.
- You get marks for grammar, vocabulary, coherence of your writing, essay structure, and written discourse.
Watch the best online videos and do targeted practice tests to ace the PTE Writing test!