GET ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR VISA
What is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
The Department of Home Affairs Australia introduced the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). Under this scheme, the employers in regional Australia can nominate the eligible, skilled workers who are outside Australia or the skilled workers who are already living in Australia on a temporary basis to fill the skill shortages in their businesses.
Regional Australia is an area in Australia that lies outside of the following:
- Australian Capital Territory
- Gold Coast
- Central Coast
What is a subclass 187 visa?
The subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa allows the skilled workers who were nominated by the employers of Australia to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis. With a subclass 187 visa, skilled people can live and work in Australia as per two schemes:
- Temporary Residence Transition Scheme
Skilled workers who are already living and working in Australia as temporary residents are eligible for this visa if their employer nominates them.
- Direct Entry Stream
Skilled workers who are outside Australia or those who do not meet the Temporary Residence Transition Scheme criteria can apply for this visa via direct entry scheme if an employer form regional Australia nominates them.
What can you do with 187 Visa in Australia?
No matter in which category you fall in, this visa enables you to:
- Live, Work and Study in Australia
- Enrol for public health scheme
- Sponsor your family members (if eligible)
- Become an Australian Citizen (if eligible)
- Travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years
Does RSMS 187 visa provide Permanent Residency?
Yes, with this visa one can stay in Australia for an indefinite period of time. If a person is already living in Australia as a temporary citizen, they become permanent residents on the very day this visa is granted. For those who are living outside Australia, they are considered as permanent residents the very day they enter into Australia.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Subclass 187 Visa?
- The occupation of the applicant must be on the list of relevant skilled occupations as mentioned by the Home Affairs Australia
- An employer must nominate you before you apply for this visa
- Applicants must have working experience of at least 3 years
- Applicants must have a relevant skill assessment
How to Apply for RSMS subclass 187 Visa?
Step 1: Ensure that you meet the requirements for this visa
There are certain general requirements for both the streams. The applicants must check if they are able to meet the requirements of the stream you wish to opt for.
Step 2: See if your employer has lodged the application for your nomination
The employers are required to lodge a nomination to the Home Affairs department of Australia before the applicant actually applies for the visa. Hence, applicants must ensure that their employer has filed their application first.
Step 3: Collect all the required Documents
Keep a document checklist with you and ensure that you have all the required documents before you file your application.
Step 4: Lodge the application
Get your documents along with your credit card and file your application online.
Step 5: The authorities will process your application
This step would take the most time in your whole application process. So wait until the authorities of the Home Affairs Department of Australia take a decision regarding your application.
Step 6: Receive your 187 Australian Visa
Congratulations! Your dream to work in Australia is going to come true. Your visa will be granted and you can start working in Australia.
Who can nominate you for Australia Visa 187?
The employers also need to follow certain criteria so as to nominate the skilled workers from or outside Australia. Hence applicants must ensure that they are being nominated by an employer who:
- Owns a business in Australia that is active and legal
- Genuinely needs full-time employees
- Can pay the salary as per the market rates
- Obey the workplace laws of Australia
- Can provide you with employment for at least the next 2 years
What to do if you do not have an employer who can nominate you?
The applicants can use SkillSelect and submit an Expression of Interest. As a result, potential employers and state governments will be able to access the applicant’s information and can choose to nominate the applicant if their particulars match with their job requirements.
Requirements and checklist
One must thoroughly read the guidelines mentioned in the official site of Home Affairs department Australia to understand the particularities of this visa. Here is a quick checklist for you so that you can ensure that you understand the requirements for RSMS 187 Visa.
|Do you know which areas are considered under regional Australia?|
|Do you know where you need to apply for this visa and how?|
|Do you meet the requirements of your Visa Scheme?|
|Has your employer nominated you?|
|Do you know what documents you will require to submit for this process?|
|Have you done your skill assessment?|
|Do you know how much funds you will require throughout this process?|
Read to know more about all the requirements of 187 Subclass Visa.Visa Subclass 187 Requirements
Rules and Conditions
- The applicant and their family members must obey the laws of the country.
- The applicant must agree to work with the employer for at least the next 2 years.
- The applicant needs to start working within the 6 months of visa grant if they are already in Australia. If the applicant is outside Australia, they have to start working within 6 months entering into Australia after the visa is granted.
Find more insights into the rules and conditions for 187 Subclass Visa.Visa Subclass 187 Rules
Depending upon the Stream you have opted for, the processing times may vary. It has been seen that applications under Temporary Residence Transition Stream get processed faster than those under Direct Entry Stream.
|Stream||75% of the applications get processed in||90% of the applications get processed in|
|Direct Entry Stream||21 months||23 months|
|Temporary Residence Transition Stream||11 months||16 months|
Read more about Processing Time of 187 subclass visa here.Visa Subclass 187 Processing Time
Fee & Cost
|Direct Entry Stream||Visa is closed to new applications|
|Temporary Residence Transition Stream||AUD 4,115 and above|
Read more about the Fee and Cost details of 187 Visa here.Visa Subclass 187 Fees
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
- Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
- Skilled Worker Regional Provisional Visa (Subclass 491)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
- Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
- Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
- Temporary Work Short Stay Specialist Visa (Subclass 400)
- Skilled Regional Provisional Visa (Subclass 489)
- Student Visa (Subclass 500)
- Partner Visa (Subclass 309)
- Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)