GET ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR VISA
Visa Subclass 189 (Skilled Independent Visa)
What is a subclass 189 visa?
Australia Immigration Visa (Sub-class 189) is one of the most sought-after visas for skilled workers who want to migrate to Australia permanently. The 189 Visa is offered to the applicants on the basis of a points-based system.
If you have the required skills and relevant work experience in an occupation in demand in Australia, are proficient in English, and meet all the other eligibility, immigration to Australia can be a breeze.
Who is this Visa for?
This visa permit is meant for people who have not been sponsored by relatives or employers and have not been nominated by the Australian state or territory government but still want to build a lucrative career in the wealthy country with a market-based economy.
Visa 189 is the visa meant to facilitate the trained tradesmen and qualified experts from abroad to migrate to Australia and help the country bridge the skill shortages it is facing at the time.
What can you do with Subclass 189 Skill Independent Visa?
- Stay Permanently in Australia
- Work and study in Australia
- Include your partner, your child, and/or your stepchild in your visa application
- Enrol in Medicare - Australia's scheme for providing health-related care to all its residents
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you like for five years
- Become a citizen of Australia (if eligible)
What are the minimum requirements of this Subclass 189 Visa?
- Occupation of the applicant must match with those given in the skilled occupation list
- Age of the applicant must be 45 years or less
- Applicant must have a point score of 65 points or more
- The applicant must receive an invitation to apply for this visa
How to apply for Subclass 189 Visa?
The applicant needs to file an EOI (Expression of Interest) via SkillSelect. The applicant is invited by the Department of Immigration to apply for this visa. Once the applicant receives the invitation, they must file their application within 60 days’ time. If the applicant fails to do so within this stipulated time, the invitation would lapse.
How can we help you?
With years of experience in providing Australian immigration services, our experts can help you all the way - from setting up your Immi Australia account on SkillSelect to getting your Australian immigration visa. They are qualified and knowledgeable enough to answer all your queries regarding the process that needs to be followed for Australian immigration.
The assessment of the application is done on a case-by-case basis. Hence, the actual processing time of this Australian visa depends upon individual circumstances.
75% of the applications
90% of the applications
On July 1, 2017, the Australian government announced that the Visa 189 applicants whose occupation is on the current Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) will be given the highest priority.
We, at Visa2Immigration, help you file the complete visa and immigration application forms along with the required documentation, respond to the requests appropriately and on time. Our visa and immigration consultants can also help you expedite the background checking information as far as your health and character certificates are concerned.Read More
Fee & Cost
To be paid for
To be paid in
A family member above 18 years who has less than Functional English
The visa processing fee discussed above does not include the costs for health assessments, police certificates, and other required biometrics. There can be additional costs too on the case-to-case basis.Read More
Rules and Conditions
- The applicant is required to live in Australia for only 2 out of 4 years.
- If the applicant lives in Australia for 4 consecutive years they can apply for Australian Citizenship.
- If the applicant is applying while they are in Australia, they must not have a cancelled or refused visa application before. Otherwise, they are ineligible for the subclass 189 visa.
- The applicant and their family members must meet the character requirements of Australia
Requirements and checklist
The documents you require for Australia migration include:
- ID proof (such as birth certificate, national ID, passport, proof of a change of name etc.)
- Health documents (send directly by the physician electronically)
- Character certificate and police certificates (if required)
- Documents to support your EOI, including:
- Your Skills Assessment
- Age Proof
- English Proficiency Test Result
- Proofs of Educational Qualifications and Work Experience
- Proofs of the Family Members accompanying you as well as those who are now migrating with you and the documents to show your relationship with them.
Points Required and Point Calculator
One needs a point score of 65 points or more to be eligible to apply for the 189 visa. The points are allotted for different parameters as follows:
Work Experience (outside Australia)
Work Experience (in Australia)
Educational Qualifications (recognized by Australian authorities)
Degree, diploma or trade qualification from Australia
Master degree by research or a Doctorate degree from Australia
Community language accreditations,
Studying in a regional or low-population metropolitan area of Australia,
Skill qualifications of the partner,
Working for one year in Australia in a relevant profession
5 points each