GET ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR VISA
IELTS Requirement for Australia Permanent Residency
To become a Permanent Resident (PR) of Australia, one needs to secure a permanent visa to the country. Most common types of visas that grant you the Australian PR status are:
- Family-stream PR Visas
- Permanent Visas for Skilled Workers
IELTS score for Australia PR status varies according to the visa you apply for.
No IELTS needed for Family Visas
If your spouse or partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you can apply for one of the several family visa options. Family visas do not ask you for English Language requirements and hence you do not need to present an IELTS score for Australia when you apply for any of the family visas.
IELTS Score for Australia Work Visa
Skilled workers who want to migrate to Australia on Skilled Independent Visa or Visa Subclass 189 or Skilled Nominated visa or Visa Subclass 190 need at least Competent English level or an IELTS score of at least 6 in each of the four test components to be eligible for these respective visas. Besides, they need better scores to raise their point score.
An IELTS score of at least 7 is required in each of the test components to reach the Proficient English level and be awarded 10 points. An IELTS score of at least 8 is required in each of the IELTS components to reach the Superior English level and be awarded 20 points.
Visa subclass 489 is a temporary visa which allows you to apply for permanent residency later if you are eligible for it. Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa or Visa Subclass 489 requires you to have an IELTS score of at least 6 in each of the four test components under the Invited Pathway while your family members who are 18 years or older will need to have IELTS score of at least 4.5 on average as well as in each of the test components (or pay the Second Instalment fee). As a Subsequent Entrant, you need to have a Functional English level or an IELTS score of 4.5. For Extended Pathway, you do not need to present proof of your English language proficiency.
Visa 482 can help you gain work experience in Australia which may later strengthen your case for permanent residency in the country. If you apply for this visa, you'll need sufficient English or an overall IELTS score of at least 5 and a score of at least 4.5 in each of the test components (if you apply under short-stream). For medium-stream, you need an overall IELTS score of at least 5 and a score of at least 5 in each of the test components. The Labour agreement stream has its own English Language specifications which you need to fulfil.
There are some other visa options which may eventually lead you to gain permanent visas and hence, gain the Australian PR status:
- Training Visa or Visa Subclass 407 requires you to have Functional English level. In this case, you must have an IELTS band score of at least 4.5 on n average as well as for each of its four components - Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
- Student Visa or Visa Subclass 500 requires you to have a band score of at least 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). You may be accepted if you have an IELTS band score of 5 if you attend at least 10 weeks of English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). Minimum IELTS score for an Australian student visa can be further reduced to a band score of 4.5 if you attend at least 20 weeks of ELICOS.
- Business and Investment visas require you to either have Functional English or pay the Second Instalment visa on top of the visa application charge. To avoid the SI fee, minimum IELTS score for Australia that you need is 4.5 on average as well as in each of the test components.
Talk to our Visa2Immigration visa and immigration experts to know the best-possible visa option for you to help you gain the permanent residence status in Australia. People ask us on how to get PR in Australia without IELTS and there are ways that allow you to do so. Our visa experts are well-versed with different pathways that allow you to live and settle down in Australia without much hassle and will be happy to share their knowledge with you.
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
- Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
- Skilled Worker Regional Provisional Visa (Subclass 491)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
- Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
- Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
- Temporary Work Short Stay Specialist Visa (Subclass 400)
- Skilled Regional Provisional Visa (Subclass 489)
- Student Visa (Subclass 500)
- Partner Visa (Subclass 309)
- Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)