Visa 489 is a 4-year provisional visa for skilled workers, which allows you and your family members to live, study and work in an approved regional area. The 489 visa rules might vary depending on which pathway you choose to apply for the visa, and whether you are sponsored by a relative or one of the Australian State or Territory Governments.

If you are sponsored by a relative, you can live in a Designated Area. Designated areas mean anywhere in Australia, except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong in New South Wales and the Brisbane metropolitan areas in Queensland. On the other hand, if you are sponsored by the government, you might only be able to live in a specified area. These specified areas are known as Regional Areas or Low Population Growth Areas that bar you from living, working and studying in some additional areas such as:

  • Central Coast in New South Wales,
  • Gold Coast in Queensland,
  • Melbourne in Victoria,
  • the Australian Capital Territory, and
  • Perth and surrounding areas in Western Australia.

Since Designated Areas include more places than Specified Areas (and also include some of the major Australian cities such as Melbourne, Gold Coast, and Canberra), being sponsored by a relative as a subsequent entrant offers you a sweeter deal when it comes to the 489 visa conditions you need to follow.

However, the subsequent entry pathway has a downside too. You can only stay and work in Australia until the visa of your family member remains valid.

To advance your 489 visa to PR (Permanent Residency), you need to follow subclass 489 visa conditions even more carefully. You need to comply with all the Australian laws and inform the authorities immediately if there are any changes to your:

  • Phone number, address, email or passport,
  • Relationship status,
  • Child is born.

To get a permanent visa, you must live in the state that sponsored you for at least two years in the specified area and work full-time for at least 12 months in the area.

One of the lesser-known visa 489 conditions is that you should not be married or in a de facto relationship before you enter Australia for the first time on this visa.V2I experts can tell you more what you should keep in mind when you get approval for this temporary visa.


What out Clients Says

Still Confused? Don't Worry; Get a call back from our Experts.

Whether you want us to analyse your case or need any form-filling assistance, we are here to answer all your questions. Just send us your contact details and our visa experts will get in touch with you within 24 hours.