Federal Skilled Trades Program Requirements & Checklist


    Federal Skilled Trades Program Requirements & Checklist

    A skilled tradesperson who wants to enter Canada as an immigrant and attain its Permanent Resident (PR) status under the Express Entry (EE) program has to meet certain minimum requirements to be eligible for it. These include:

    • Language Ability:

    Skilled traders are expected to meet a benchmark of CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) 5 in Speaking and Listening, and CLB 4 in Reading and Writing sections of the approved language tests.

    The language tests are only valid for two years from the date you receive their result. IRCC requires your language tests to be valid until the day you apply for PR. V2I Canadian visa and immigration experts can guide you on which tests to take and when to take them to achieve the highest score in this section.

    • Have one of the following:
      • A valid job offer for a minimum of one year (for full-time employment), or
      • Certificate of qualification in your trade issued by a Canadian authority.
    • Education:

      While there is no minimum education requirement for the FTSP, you can get a higher score, if you have one of the following:

      • A Canadian certificate, diploma, or degree, Or
      • An ECA (Educational Credential Assessment) to prove that your educational qualification is equivalent to its Canadian counterpart.
    • Skilled Work Experience:

    Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) requires you to have a minimum of two years’ full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time experience) in your chosen trade within the 5 years of applying for immigration. You will need to meet the job occupations specified in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) for the group you choose.

    NOC groups that are relevant for tradesmen and tradeswomen are all Skill Type B (meant for technical occupations or skilled trade). These include:

    • Major Group 72 (includes tradesperson skilled in sectors like industrial, electrical, construction, etc.)
    • Major Group 73 (includes tradesperson skilled in operation and maintenance of different types of equipment)
    • Major Group 82 (includes supervisors and technical people in Natural Resources, agriculture, and production related to it)
    • Major Group 92 (includes processing supervisors, manufacturing supervisors, utility supervisors, central control operators, etc.)
    • Minor Group 632 (includes chefs, cooks, etc.)
    • Minor Group 633 (includes bakers, butchers, etc.)

    All the major groups are further divided into different categories. Remember that when you choose your skill type or NOC code, you will have to show that you have work experience doing the job and that you have performed the essential duties listed under it. Failing to prove that you have worked on the job independently after earning the right qualification can lead to rejection of your visa application.

    V2I experts are well-versed with the nuances of FTSP immigration applications and can help you choose the right job title, NOC code, skill level or type based on your experience. They can also help you with the visa application process to give you the best chance of winning acceptance into the country.

    • Proof of Funds:

    If you do not have a valid job offer or a work permit, you will need to show you have money to settle in Canada comfortably.

    • Admissibility:

    If you have a medical condition or a criminal record or are considered a security risk in any way, you will not be allowed to enter Canada. You need to prove that you are fit and clean to not be a threat to the country and its citizens.

    • Where you can live in Canada:

    Quebec has a separate process of accepting skilled workers and tradesmen. If you apply under the EE program, you can only live and work outside the province. Provincial Nominees can only settle in the province or territory that nominated them.

    You will have to declare where you plan to live in Canada. You have to meet the requirements of one of the federally, provisionally, or territorially regulated trade.

    Documents for Express Entry

    To expedite the processing of your FSTP application, it is a good idea to have all your documents ready when you are creating the EE profile, these include:

    • Passport or travel documents,
    • Language test results,
    • ECA report (if you do not have Canadian education credentials), and
    • Valid job offer (if applicable).

    Your PR application will have to include:

    • Police or Security Clearance Certificates for you and your co-applicants,
    • Medical Examination reports for everyone, and
    • Proof of funds (depending on the family members you include in your visa application).

    Making an Express Entry profile may seem easy but it’s a tricky job. Consult V2I experts now to increase your chances of winning approval from the IRCC.

    What our Clients Says

    Still Confused? Don't Worry Get a callback from our Experts.

    Whether you want us to analyse your case or need any form-filling assistance, we are here to answer all your questions. Just send us your contact details and our visa experts will get in touch with you within 24 hours.